To have individual responsibility in accordance with the practices and procedures of the Authority, for the personal needs of service user’s designed. Duties will include domestic and where applicable, physical care and social duties aimed to creating a supporting homely atmosphere where service users can achieve maximum independence. The post holder will need to adopt a flexible pattern, including some evenings and weekends.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To undertake the role of Key/support worker by, for instance liaising with various services, families and carers involved with the service user.
- To ensure that the needs of the service user are safeguarded by identifying risk and completing an assessment that actively aims to reduce risk. To work in accordance of the Bedford Borough Council Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults Policy and Mental Capacity Act to ensure the well-being of the service user is considered at all times.
- To teach/enable customers a range of domestic duties in their homes and assisting in the ordinary running of their household, to include cleaning, preparation and cooking food, washing up, making beds, washing and ironing.
- To undertake a range of social duties including shopping, taking customer to collect finances and prescriptions and helping them with making Doctors’ appointments, paying accounts and making telephone calls.
- To listen sympathetically to customers worries and problems.
- To refer significant problems and/or events to a manager, as well as leasingwith other community support Workers and Care Organisers (social Worker) or Nursing staff.
- To meet urgent needs of service users, deal with emergencies and liaise closely with the appropriate agencies.
- To maintain written records relating to the service user.
- To attend appropriate in-service training courses.
- To keep a lay person eyes on the general health of the customer and report to a manager any variations in his/her condition.
- Demonstrate and promote fair and equal treatment of service users and staff in line with the Borough Councils Equal Opportunities Policy.
- To dress, wash, feed and toilet service users as appropriate.
- To provide a range of personal care including, helping with personal hygiene, the administration of creams, medication and treatment as prescribed by a qualified person as instructed and once training has been received.
- To complete sleep in duties at the project and other resources where applicable.
- To encourage the service user to continue or take up social activities.
- To give advice and assistance, under the guidance of a managerin such areas as housekeeping or practical difficulties.
- To encourage attendance at Day Services and participation in other activities outside the home.
- To attend and participate in planning, assessment and case conferences regarding the future of the service user and prepare reports as required.
- To liaise with relatives, carers, friends and other agencies of the service user served to assist in developing a support network that meets the needs, whist at all times respecting the service users confidentiality.
- To work to defined care/support plans. To deal with the urgent needs of service users, including emergencies liaising with a manager.
- To ensure that Health and safety practices are adhered to and where necessary seek management support.
- To ensure that no remunerations/gifts are accepted from service users, families and carers for work undertaken and those remunerations/gifts are offered, this is reported to a manager.
- To regularly meet with other Community Support Workers, Assessment and Resettlement Officers and their line management to discuss work issues.
- To communicate any concerns regarding performance of the role or the needs of service users to a manager as soon as possible through supervision and appraisal process.
- To work in a range of settings. This could include hostels and Day Centre’s.
- To complete and undertake other duties of a similar level and responsibility as may be required.
* Enhanced DBS would be required and Safe Guarding Training.
* Part Time hours 18/30 p.w. Temp to Perm role.
* Candidate will need to adopt a flexible pattern, inc some evenings & weekends work.
* Skills required: patience, quick thinking, time management, team orientated, good record keeping, mental capacity