- As part of the wider Repairs and Maintenance function of Building & Technical Services (BTS) and in particular the newly established Repairs Control Centre, this is the critical role in ensuring the smooth day to day running of the responsive repairs service.
- The postholder will have line management through the Repairs Control Centre Manager, but with a ‘dotted line’ management structure to the Operations Manager.
- The postholder will work with minimal supervision and will be required to make decisions, usually in ‘real time’, to vary levels of resources and / or how they are deployed to reflect the changing demands of the workload. This includes reacting to emergency situations and the requirement to keep all operatives busy at all times to ensure high levels of productivity.
- The postholder will be expected to resolve issues using their own initiative within broad guidelines, referring only the most complex issues and situations to the Operations Manager.
- The postholder will require to sustain high levels of concentration throughout the day, particularly when planning / scheduling and allocating / re-allocating work to the changing requirements of each day.
- Operating to the principles of ‘right first time’ for repair completion and ‘just in time’ for material availability, ensure that resources (human and material) are available and scheduled to maximise performance and efficiency.
- Actively contribute to the achievement of the wider Housing Landlord aims, operational objectives and future state.
Responsively manage in ‘real time’ each emerging day, reacting to issues such as unplanned operative absence, emergency repair orders and unexpected delays on jobs and taking decisions on and implementing solutions. Devise strategies and approaches to enable a calm, structured, consistent and repeatable reaction to such situations.
Manage trade operatives diaries via scheduling systems, including Opti-time, to schedule available work for the most efficient deployment of operatives to meet the customer needs and ensuring operatives are kept continually busy. Proactively plan for the coming day(s) and weeks taking account of operative availability in the wider context of BTS’s repairs and maintenance functions.
Liaise with stores officers to ensure timely purchase of materials for future appointed jobs and to ensure that specialist plant and equipment is available and booked, re-arranging appointments with customers where necessary.
Liaise with customers regarding the progress of their repair, re-arranging appointments where necessary either at the request of the customer or a BTS operational issue. Contact customers in the event of any potential ‘no access’ situations to attempt to gain access at the appointed time. Ensure that update text messages are sent to customers at the specified intervals.
Ensure trade operatives are aware of their appointment commitments and aid the delivery of the service through the provision of advice and other appropriate assistance to the operatives. Encourage and facilitate effective communication between the Work Planners and trade operatives on the progress of jobs, access to properties, problems etc.
Ensure that all jobs (including emergency jobs) are completed on time and to relevant standards. Work closely with the Operations Manager regarding issues of work quality, timeliness and any other potential performance issues of the trade operatives.
Produce regular reports for the Operations Manager and BTS management team on current performance and trends that may be affecting the business. Work with Repairs Control Centre staff to correlate performance information between IBS and Opti-time.
Establish excellent working relationships and continuously communicate with Repairs Control Centre staff, trade operatives, Operations Manager etc. to ensure appointments are made and kept and a very high percentage of jobs are completed ‘right first time’ and to meet the customers needs.
Ensure that systems and records are maintained with timely and accurate data. This will include ensuring that operatives diaries are updated with details of leave, training etc. Carry out all necessary housekeeping on a regular basis.
Working collaboratively with the Repairs Control Centre Manager and Support Team Supervisors, ensure that arrangements for cover (for Work Planner leave and sickness absence etc.) are in place. This will include giving training and timely and detailed handovers including ‘hints and tips’ to assist in the substitute giving the greatest value possible.
Encourage, facilitate and participate in the review of current processes for efficiencies and opportunities to improve the service that is delivered.
* Demonstrable experience of complex administrative systems and processes within an office environment.
* Demonstrable experience of working in a demanding and changeable work situation.
* Able to deal with large amounts of information and data and simultaneously handle multiple workloads.
* Ability to acquire and retain IT skills over a range of different systems and to be able to use Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel etc)
* Able to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally, with a range of people including customers, internal colleagues and external agencies, including ability to maintain positive relationships.
* Able to organise self and others to meet challenging deadlines and targets, work on own initiative and plan, prioritise and organise workloads.
* Ability to make and see through implementation, decisions, based on accurate and logical analysis of information
* Able to generate innovative and creative solutions to problems under pressure
* An understanding of equality issues and legislation and how they impact on service(s) provided.
* Understanding of the principles of customer care.
* Knowledge of housing repairs.
* The willingness to undertake professional development in order to achieve a supervisory qualification.
* Able to attend sites throughout the borough as required.